what is this i dont even what is this i dont even

Genuinely sublime

From the abstract, pixellated preview picture you really don't know what to expect from this animation. There's a minimalism there that promises nothing more than a turquoise plane with two areas of black and a slither of red. The title too, conveys nothing more than a sense of confusion. What is my reason for clicking, then? Curiosity and intrigue? If it turns out to be as simple and uninteresting the preview image and title convey, then I have no-one to blame but myself for deciding to partake.

The start of the animation is a confirmation of the few expectations. Abstract colours in a blocky, pixellated arrangement that resemble a simple face. Music, which is also suitably simple, starts. Nothing prepares me for the sudden infinitude of space. The vastness is multiplied by the simplicity of the lone skier, who is but an arrangement of blocks in a massive cosmos. In one deft move, the animation has flipped from a unimpressive simplicity to the sublime. The lone skier rotates slowly, an almost graceful motion, towards the gorgeous aquamarine canopy of the atmosphere. He is held in place where the day meets the night; outside of time; ageless, unending.
Announced, spiraling flames begin to engulf the lone skier. The intricate detail of the flames juxtaposed with the inherent minimalism of the pixellated character give the flames a sense of beauty similar to the sudden reveal of the cosmos. One by one, the artist is bombarding the viewer with visual allusions that the viewer was neither expecting nor could have predicted. What will happen next? Why do I care? What is the magic of this animation, to keep me mesmerized? A faint whooshing sound grows in intensity, as if building up to some inevitable climax.

As if on a timer, the lone skier explodes. No apology is made by the artist for the unsympathetic abruptness of the characters demise, who instead continues to smother the viewer with a thousand copies of his own name. The comedic effect of this egotistical outburst, with it's brilliantly sudden timing, is excellent. I found myself in reels of laughter, laughter of the calibre whereby I unexpectedly bash my elbow on a solid surface, laughter that says "That won't catch me off guard next time!"

And then, the face again. A face that before said nothing, but now shows the look of a man doomed, the shocked expression of one prepared to fall, burn and combust all in the name of David Spade. A thousand times David Spade.

"well-meaning ineptitude that rises to empyreal absurdity" - M. S. Dworkin

Short-Factor responds:

Holy god.
I'm dyin.
I can't breathe.
You made my day. Thank you. This is my favorite review yet.

Pokemon CharPower Pokemon CharPower

MASTERPIECE

GLORY

Henselishere responds:

Fo sure man

Walkin Talkin Banana Fun Walkin Talkin Banana Fun

This is great!

CANNOT STOP WATCHING. I love the animation on the eyes and mouth, and the way he steps a little higher when he enunciates baNAna looks really great. I demand further adventures of the bipedal fruit!

It sounds more like walkin' talkin' banana bun to me.

Upgrade Complete! Upgrade Complete!

My song yessssss

Great to hear my music in such a competent game!

The-EXP responds:

It's an amazing song, one of my favourites on the portal, it's so Pokemon like :D

Grandia Grandia

Impressively faithful

I've heard this song so much I know it almost note-for-note, so I like to think I'd be the perfect judge for such a piece. And what a piece!

You've actually managed to get that all-important orchestral feel to it, which gives it that epic feel at all the right parts of the song. You must be using some pretty incredible VSTs. Must have been a bastard to render.

Some of the strings parts feel a bit too synthesized, which I'm sure could be tweaked by messing around with the velocity or expression of certain notes (for example, when you have the same note repeated over and over for a while, or that high-pitched strings bit just before the guitar part [which sounds particularly bad I'm afraid, maybe if you have it start off a bit quieter and build up? I'm not sure.])

All in all though, a brilliant remake of a track from a brilliant game. I look forward to hearing it with the fantastic guitar addition!

CelestOrion responds:

Thanks for the review, Insector! Yeah, I know what you mean now with the strings. I'm pretty sure that I can tweak out the settings and give it a better sound. I'll give you an update once it's completely finished.

OBEY.. BLOBBY OBEY.. BLOBBY

Memories

Used to watch Noel's House Party every week as a child. Good times.

Those cold, dead eyes with their fabulous lashes still chill me to my very soul.

Willeeto responds:

Although he may be sinister in appearance and personality.. you cant help but feel that great sense of warmth that thrives from within.